"What Matters to You?" Day is June 6, 2017! Ask What Matters. Listen to What Matters. Do What Matters.
Medicine is undergoing a huge transformation, shifting away from the historic model of paternalistic, top-down, doctor-driven health care. We started towards patient-driven, consumer medicine, and thankfully are starting to settle at a beautiful middle-ground, which is patient-centred care, using interdisciplinary clinician expertise, and a process of shared decision making around a patient's needs and priorities.
That is a lot of words, when really what it boils down to is this: shifting the emphasis towards caring for people rather than 'doing medicine.'
Or in even simpler terms, we should be asking "What matters to you?" and shaping the care we give to help people find the best fit for their goals.
This is a new initiative in British Columbia, organized by the BC Patient Safety Quality Council (BCPSQC), to promote meaningful conversations around health care between patients and providers. "What Matters to You?" Day is based on a now global campaign that started in Norway in 2014.
We already incorporate this into our work in the Palliative Care and 'ED2HOME' services at my hospital, but I am keen to help spread the word for this very important idea so that all patients have a chance to answer the question.
From the BCPSQC:
Why does it matter?
Because we believe great care begins with a question. Providing patient-centred care is important because it results in better outcomes for patients and greater satisfaction with care. “What Matters to You?” Day supports this by putting the patient voice at the centre of care, by focusing on what matters to them.
When a health care provider starts a conversation by asking what really matters to the person they are caring for, it helps them to build trust, develop empathy, and understand their patients. Ultimately, it improves the quality of care they provide.
There are lots of ways you can support "What Matters to You?" Day!
- Join us & declare your intention to have a conversation about what matters, whether you're a care provider, patient, family member, or health care provider
- Download our Getting Started Kit & learn more about the campaign
- Order free resources to promote "What Matters to You?" Day. We've got posters, pocket cards, stickers, and more resources designed for patients and providers. We'll mail them anywhere in BC!
- Spread the word online using our simple, prepared messages and digital resources!
- Get ready for conversations about what matters with our skill-building tools
- Watch and share the campaign video, above
Celebrate The Virtual Launch!
We'll be sharing messages about "What Matters to You?" Day across digital channels, so join the conversation on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook by using the hashtag #WMTY17! You can even add a #WMTY17 Twibbon to your profile photo to spread the word with every message you share!
Learn more: What Matters to You Day